life of the godfAther

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Road to Triathlon

this is my boy always trying to dress like me. it's bad enough he looks just like me but now he's always wanting to dress like me like me as well. i have to admit though, i don't mind one bit. you may ask, "Lance, why are you dressed that way in the first place?" ok, on a more serious note. for a long time i've talked about doing some type of adventure race or triathlon but i've never committed to just do it. not exactly sure why, maybe i didn't think i could finish. anyway, i finally decided to do an adventure race coming up this september...it's sort of like a triathlon except it's running for 5 miles, canoeing for about 4, and biking for 10. i've never done anything quite like this so i've started my training early and i plan on updating the blog on my progress from time to time. here is the first update. tuesday night i ran my first mile. i figured i could run it like i was back in the military so i started with a pretty quick pace. after the first half mile i thought i was going to die. i plopped through the next quarter mile and walked the last portion. i even got passed by a lady walking (she's recovering from having a baby). i finished in just a hair under 16 minutes. pretty terrible considering i used to blaze through a 2-mile race in just over 12 min. this is not going well. anyway, this picture was taken just before my run on thursday night. i was sore and tired but decided to run anyway. only this time i slowed down just a little, stretched a bit longer and paced myself. i ran the entire mile and finished in about 8 1/2 minutes. quite an improvement.

(i'll be updating you all on corporate sponsorship opportunities later)...just let me know if you want your companies name to appear on Team HPC's race gear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home